- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering Virginia Tech
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering Virginia Tech
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering Virginia Tech
Dr. Eric J. Ruggiero received his Ph.D. from Virginia Tech in Mechanical Engineering from the Center for Intelligent Material Systems and Structures as a National Science Foundation graduate research fellow. Upon graduation, Dr. Ruggiero started his industrial research career at GE Research in New York. In 2014, Dr. Ruggiero was promoted to Engineering Leader for the Sustaining Commercial Thermal Systems Design team at GE Aviation in Ohio. Most recently, he joined GE Aviation’s Military Engineering organization and is responsible for strategic technology development in support of next generation propulsion systems. He has published over 30 peer-reviewed manuscripts, issued over 30 patents. He is an Associate Fellow of the AIAA and a Lifetime Fellow of the ASME. As a triple Hokie, Dr. Ruggiero was honored in 2001 as Virginia Tech’s Man of the Year and was a 2-time Paul E. Torgersen Award (MS and PhD) winner.
- 2018 AIAA Day-Cin Section Outstanding Manager Award
- 2017 GE Aviation Engineering Excellence Award for Innovation
- 2017 National Academy of Engineers EU-US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium invitee (1 of 60 EU/US participants)
- 2017 Best Paper Award in Turbomachinery (ASME IGTI)
- 2014 UT-Austin Mechanical Engineering Dept Centennial Invited Speaker
- 2013 National Academy of Engineers US Frontiers in Engineering Invitee (1 of 100 invitees)
- 2013 AIAA Lawrence Sperry Award
- 2010 AIAA Region I Engineer of the Year Society Inductee
- 2009 GE Global Research Energy & Propulsion Technologies Best Patent Award
- 2008 ASME Old Guard Early Career Award
- 2006 ASME Adaptive Structures Best Paper Award (ASME IMECE)
Served on the ASME Gas Turbine Heat Transfer Technical Committee since 2011 and the ASME Adaptive Structures Technical Committee since 2005. Currently serves as the Vice Chair of the AIAA Gas Turbine Engine Technical Committee. Volunteers with the GE – VT Strategic Recruiting Team and joined the AOE Advisory Board in 2020.