- Ph.D., 2011, Computational and Mathematical Engineering, Stanford University, USA
- M.S., 2009, Computational and Mathematical Engineering, Stanford University, USA
- B.S., 2006, Information and Computational Sciences, Nanjing University, China
- Multiphysics Modeling and Computation Lab
- AOE 4404: Applied Numerical Methods
- AOE 2074: Computational Methods
- AOE 5984: Introduction to Fluid-Structure Interaction
- AOE 3024: Naval Architecture
- AOE 3224: Ocean Structures
Dr. Wang directs the Multiphysics Modeling and Computation (M2C) Lab, with high performance computing resources provided by Virginia Tech Advanced Research Computing (ARC), San Diego Supercomputer Center (through NSF XSEDE), DoD's HPC Modernization Program (HPCMP), and the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility.
- Research Interests
- Computational science & engineering
- Numerical methods for fluid-structure interaction, multiphase flow, laser-fluid interaction, and mass & heat transport in nanomaterials
- High performance computing
- Verification, validation, and uncertain quantification
- Shock-induced structural instabilities and fracture
- Bubble dynamics, cavitation, and cavitation erosion
- Energy harvesting and storage
- Ongoing & Recent Projects (Selected)
- A fluid-structure coupled computational framework for the certification of shock-resistant elastomer coatings (Office of Naval Research)
- Multi-Physics Models for Parachute Deployment and Braking (AFOSR and CMSoft Inc.)
- Multiphase fluid-material interaction: Cavitation modeling and damage assessment (National Science Foundation)
- Non-destructive evaluation of alloy sensitization using induction infrared thermography (Office of Naval Research)
- Thermal energy harvesting using solid/liquid phase change materials (Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science)
- Diffusive molecular dynamics (DMD) for long-term atomistic simulations (internally funded)
- Representative Publications
- S. Cao, D. Liao, Y. Zhang, P. Zhong, and K. Wang, “Shock-Induced Damage and Dynamic Fracture in Cylindrical Bodies Submerged in Water,” International Journal of Solids and Structures; 2019; 169:55-71.
- X. Sun, M. P. Ariza, M. Ortiz, and K. G. Wang, “Atomistic Modeling and Analysis of Hydride Phase Transformation in Palladium Nanoparticles,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids; 2019; 125:360-383.
- G. Wang, D. Ha, and K. G. Wang, “A Scalable Environmental Thermal Energy Harvester Based on Solid/Liquid Phase Change Materials,” Applied Energy; 2019; 250:1468-1480.
- S. Cao, A. Main, and K. G. Wang, “Robin-Neumann Transmission Conditions for Fluid-Structure Coupling: Embedded Boundary Implementation and Parameter Analysis,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering; 2018; 115:578-603.
- H. Chung, S. Cao, M. Philen, P. Beran, and K. G. Wang, “CFD-CSD Coupled Analysis of Underwater Propulsion Using a Biomimetic Fin-and-Joint System,” Computers and Fluids; 2018; 172:54-66.
- X. Sun, M. P. Ariza, M. Ortiz, and K. G. Wang, “Acceleration of Diffusive Molecular Dynamics Simulations Through Mean Field Approximation and Subcycling Time Integration,” Journal of Computational Physics, 2017; 350:470-492.
- K. Wang, “Multiphase Fluid-Solid Coupled Analysis of Shock-Bubble-Stone Interaction in Shock Wave Lithotripsy,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. 2017; Vol. 33, Issue 10, e2855
- K. G. Wang, P. Lea, and C. Farhat, “A Computational Framework for the Simulation of High-Speed Multi-Material Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems with Dynamic Fracture,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 2015; 104:585-623.
- C. Farhat, K. Wang, A. Main, S. Kyriakides, L.-H. Lee, K. Ravi-Chandar and T. Belytschko, "Dynamic Implosion of Underwater Cylindrical Shells: Experiments and Computations", International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 50, pp. 2943-2961 (2013)
- K. Wang, A. Rallu, J-F. Gerbeau, and C. Farhat, “Algorithms for Interface Treatment and Load Computation in Embedded Boundary Methods for Fluid and Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids. 2011; 67:1175-1206.
- NSF CAREER Award, 2017
- AFRL Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2016
- Teacher of the Week, Virginia Tech, 2016
- Gene H. Golub Dissertation Award, Stanford University, 2012
- Member of USACM, AIAA, SNAME, and ASME
- Program Manager, Virginia Tech - Naval Undersea Warfare Center (Newport Division) Educational Partnership
- 12/2013 to present: Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 09/2012 to 12/2013: Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Aerospace (GALCIT), California Institute of Technology
- 01/2012 to 08/2012: Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University
- (540) 231-7547
Aerospace and Ocean Engineering (MC0203)
Randolph Hall 332-3
460 Old Turner St
Blacksburg, VA 24061