- Ph.D. 2006, Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech
- M.S. 2004, Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech
- B.S. 2001, Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech
McBryde Hall, RM 660A, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Prof. Lowe's teaching portfolio includes undergraduate and graduate courses in propulsion and fluid dynamics. Core to his teaching philosophy for these courses is providing an atmosphere in which students may learn incrementally, often involving recurring technical themes, from out-of-class assignments that are informed by content delivery and examples available in the classroom and online. In each class taught, course technology such as slide screen recording, Web-based assessments, and Zoom lecture/recitation delivery, has enhanced the effectiveness and availability of the course content.
Courses Regularly Taught
- AOE 3164 - Aerothermodynamics and propulsion systems
- AOE/ME 4234 - Aerospace propulsion systems
- AOE/ME 5135 - Vehicle propulsion
- AOE 5154 - Data analysis in fluid dynamics
Courses taught in the past
- AOE 6114 - Transonic aerodynamics
- AOE 4984 SS - Aero engine design modeling
The Vortical Flow and Diagnostics Lab specializes in experimental fluid mechanics and the development of measurement techniques for applications in propulsion and energy systems.
- Aerodynamics and Hydrodynamics
- Co-Director, Virginia Tech Advanced Propulsion and Power Laboratory
- Director, Virginia Tech – Pratt & Whitney Center of Excellence
- Core Member of the Rolls-Royce/Virginia Tech University Technology Center for Advanced System Diagnostics
- Core Member of the Center for Renewable Energy and Aerodynamic Technology (CREATe)
- Chair of the Aerodynamic Measurement Technology Technical Committee, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- SAE International (SAE)
Reviewer for (examples):
- AIAA Journal
- Journal of Fluid Mechanics
- Experiments in Fluids
- Measurement Science and Technology
- Applied Optics
- Optics Express
- Optics and Lasers in Engineering
- 2018 Dean's Award for Excellence in Research
- 2018 SAE International Ralph R. Teetor Educator Award
- Virginia Space Grant Consortium Young Investigator Award
- Associate Fellow, AIAA
- 2021 - present, Professor, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- 2016 - 2021, Associate Professor, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- 2010 - 2016, Assistant Professor, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- 2006 - 2010, Vice President for Research and Development, Applied University Research, Inc.