(also available on Google Scholar:
60. Barboza K., Ma L., Lowe K.T. Ekkad S., Ng W. 2015 “A diagnostic technique for particle characterization using laser light extinction,” recommended for publication in J. Engr. For Gas Turbines and Power. ASME paper GT2015-43347.
59. Ma, L., Lei, Q., * Wu, Y., * Ombrello, T.M., and Carter, C.D., 2015, 3D measurements of ignition processes at 20 kHz in a supersonic combustor, Applied Physics B, In press.
58. Xu, W.,* Wickersham, A.J.* He, F.,* and Ma, L., 2015, 3d flame topography obtained by tomographic chemiluminescence with direct comparison to planar mie scattering measurements, Applied Optics 54 (9): 2174-2182.
57. Zhang, M., Wang, J., Jin, W., Huang, Z., Kobayashi, H., and Ma, L., 2014, Estimation of 3D flame surface density and global fuel consumption rate from 2D PLIF images of turbulent premixed flame, Combustion and Flame, in press.
56. He, F.,* and Ma, L., 2015, Thermal management of batteries employing active temperature control and reciprocating cooling flow, International journal of heat and mass transfer 83: 164-167.
55. He, F.,* and Ma, L., Comparative Study of Thermal Management in Hybrid Power Systems Using Cylindrical and Prismatic Battery Cells, Heat Transfer Engineering, in press, 2014.
54. Li, X.,* and Ma, L., 2015, Capabilities and limitations of 3D flame measurements based on computed tomography of chemiluminescence, Combusiton and Flame, 162(3): 642–651.
53. Kang, M.,* Wu, Y.,* and Ma, L., 2014, Three-dimensional flame measurements using fiber-based endoscopes, Proceedings of the Combustion Symposium 35:3821-3828.
52. Blanchard, R., Wickersham, A.J.,* Ma, L., and Ng, W.F., 2014, Simulating bluff-body flameholders: on the use of proper orthogonal decomposition for heat release validation, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 136 (12): 121504-1-121504-10.
51. Ma, L., 2014, Non-intrusive and multidimensional optical diagnostics and their applications in the study of thermal-fluid systems, Heat Transfer Engineering, in press.
50. Lei, Q.,* Wu, Y.,* Xiao, H., and Ma, L., 2014, Analysis of four-dimensional Mie imaging using fiber-based endoscopes, Applied Optics 53: 6389-6398.
49. Kang, M.,* Wu, Y.,* and Ma, L., 2014, Fiber-based endoscopes for 3d combustion measurements:view registration and spatial resolution, Combustion and Flame 161: 3063-3072.
48. Wu, Y.,* Lei, Q.,* and Ma, L., 2014, Experimental demonstration of 4D imaging in two phase flows based on computed tomography at 5 kHz, Applied Optics 53: 5547-53.
47. Kang, M.,* Lei, Q.* and Ma, L., 2014, Characterization of Linearity and Uniformity of Fiber-Based Endoscopes for 3D Combustion Measurements, Applied Opitcs 53: 5961-5968.
46. Li, X.,* and Ma, L., 2014, Volumetric imaging of turbulent reactive flows at kHz based on computed tomography, Optics Express 22: 4768-4778.
45. He, F.,* Li, X,* and Ma. L., 2014, Combined experimental and numerical study of thermal management of battery module consisting of multiple Li-ion cells, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 72: 622-629.
44. Wickersham, A.J.,* Li, X,* and Ma, L., 2014, Study of flame dynamics behind a V-Gutter using Fourier, principal component, and wavelet analysis based on high speed chemiluminescence measurements, Computer Physics Communications 185: 1237–1245.
43. Li, X.,* Cai, W.,* Ma, L., 2013, Practical aspects of implementing 3D tomography inversion for volumetric flame imaging, Applied Optics 52: 8106-8116.
42. Li, X.,* He, F.,* Ma, L., 2013, Thermal management of cylindrical batteries investigated using wind tunnel testing and CFD simulation, Journal of Power Sources 238: 395-402.
41. He, F.,* Ewing, D.,* Finn, J., Wagner, J., Ma, L., 2013, Thermal management of vehicular payloads using nanofluid augmented coolant rail - modeling and analysis, SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains 2: 174-203.
40.Cai, W.,* Li, X.,* Li, F., Ma, L., 2013, Numerical and experimental validation of a three-dimensional combustion diagnostic based on tomographic chemiluminescence, Optics Express 21: 7050-7064.
39. Ma, L., Li, X.,* Sanders, S. T., Caswell, A. W., Roy, S., Plemmons, D. H., Gord, J. R., 2013, 50-kHz-rate 2D imaging of temperature and H2O concentration at the exhaust plane of a J85 engine using hyperspectral tomography, Optics Express 21: 1152-1162.
38. Li, X.,* Ma, L., 2013, Effects of line-narrowing of amplified spontaneous emission analyzed by a Monte Carlo model, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 114: 157-166.
37. Li, X., Ma, L.; Scaling law for photon transmission through optically turbid slabs based on random walk theory, Applied Sciences, v. 2, no. 1, 160-165, Mar. 2012.
36. Li, F., Yu, X., Cai, W., Ma, L.; Uncertainty in velocity measurement based on diode-laser absorption in nonuniform flows, Applied Optics, v. 51, no. 20, 4788-4797, Jul. 2012.
35. Zhao, Y., Li, X., Ma, L.; Multidimensional Monte Carlo model for two-photon laser-induced fluorescence and amplified spontaneous emission, Computer Physics Communications, v. 183, no. 8, 1588-1595, Aug. 2012.
34. Li, X.; Zhao, Y.; Ma, L.; "Method to Correct the Distortion Caused by Amplified Stimulated Emission as Motivated by LIF-based Flow Diagnostics," Appl. Opt. 51, 2107-2117 (2012).
33. Li, F.; Yu, X.; Gu, H.; Li, Z.; Zhao, Y.; Ma, L.; Chen, L.; Chang, X.; Simultaneous Measurements of Multiple Flow Parameters for Scramjet Characterization Using Tunable Diode-Laser Sensors, Accepted for publication, Applied Optics, Oct 2011.
32. Sun, X.; Ma, L.; A laser extinction based sensor for simultaneous droplet size and vapor measurement, accepted for publication, Particuology, Oct 2011.
31. Li, X., Ma, L.; Minimizing Binary Functions with Simulated Annealing Algorithm with Applications to Binary Tomography, Computer Physics Communications, v. 183, no. 2, 309-315, Feb. 2012.
30. Cai, W.; Ma, L.; Improved Monte Carlo modeling for multiple scattering calculations, Chinese Optics Letters, v. 10, no. 1, Jan. 2012.
29. Sun, X., Li, X., Ma, L.; A closed-form method for calculating the angular distribution of multiply scattered photons through isotropic turbid slabs, Optics Express, v. 19, no. 24, 23932-23937, Nov. 2011.
28. Ma, L.; Analysis of error in soot characterization using scattering-based techniques, Particuology, v. 9, no. 3, 210-214, Jun. 2011..
27. Zhao, Y.; Tong, C.; Ma, L.; Kinetics of I2 and HI photodissociation with implications in flame diagnostics, Applied Physics B, v. 104, no. 3, 689-698, Feb. 2011.
26. Cai, W.; Ewing, D.J..; Ma, L.; Investigation of temperature parallel simulated annealing for optimizing continuous functions with application to hyperspectral tomography, Applied Mathematics and Computation, v. 217, no. 12, p. 5754-5767, Feb. 2011.
25. An, X.; Kraetschmer, T.; Takami, K.; Sanders, S.T.; Ma, L.; Cai, W.; Li, X.; Roy, S.; Gord, J.R.; Validation of temperature imaging by H2O absorption spectroscopy using hyperspectral tomography in controlled experiments, Applied Optics, v. 50, no. 4, p. A29-A37, Feb. 2011.
Also selected for publication in the Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics (VJBO), v. 6, no. 3, Mar 2011.
24. Cai, W.; Ma, L.; Comparison of approaches based on optimization and algebraic iteration for binary tomography, Computer Physics Communications, vol. 181, no. 12, p. 1974-1981, Dec. 2010.
23. Ma, L.; Li, X.; Cai, W.; Roy, S.; Gord, J.R.; Sanders, S.T.; Selection of multiple optimal absorption transitions for non-uniform temperature sensing, Applied Spectroscopy, v. 64, no. 11, p. 1274-1282, Nov. 2010.
22. Cai, W.; Kranendonk, L.; Lee, T.; Ma, L.; Characterization of composite nanoparticles using an improved light scattering program for coated spheres, Computer Physics Communications, v. 181, p. 978-984, May 2010.
21. Zhao, Y.; Tong, C.; Ma, L.; New laser diagnostic based on photodissociation spectroscopy for imaging mixture fraction in a non-premixed jet flame, Applied Spectroscopy, v. 64, no. 4, p. 377-383, April 2010.
20. Cai, W.; Ma, L.; Hyperspectral tomography based on proper orthogonal decomposition: as motivated by imaging diagnostics of unsteady reactive flows, Applied Optics, v. 49, no. 4, p. 601-610, Feb. 2010.
19. Cai, W.; Ma, L.; Applications of critical temperature in minimizing functions of continuous variables with simulated annealing algorithm, Computer Physics Communications, v. 181, p. 11-16, Jan. 2010.
18. Taha, A.; Ewing, D. J.; Zhao, Y.; Ma, L.; Numerical investigation of phase change materials for thermal systems, SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, v. 2, no. 1, p. 85-91, Oct. 2009.
17. Ma, L.; Kranendonk, L.; Cai, W.; Zhao, Y.; Baba, J.; Application of simulated annealing for simultaneous retrieval of particle size distribution and refractive index, Journal of Aerosol Science, v. 40, no. 7, p. 588-596, Jul. 2009.
16. Ma, L.; Cai, W.; Caswell, A.W.; Kraetschmer, T.; Sanders, S.T.; Roy, S.; Gord, J.R.; Tomographic imaging of temperature and chemical species based on hyperspectral absorption spectroscopy, Optics Express, v. 17, no. 10, p. 8602-8613, May 2009.
15. Zhao, Y.; Ma, L.; Assessment of two fractal scattering models for the prediction of the optical characteristics of soot aggregates, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, v. 110, no. 4-5, p. 315-322, Mar. 2009.
14. Zhao, Y.; Tong, C.; Ma, L.; Assessment of a novel flow visualization technique using photodissociation spectroscopy, Applied Spectroscopy, v. 63, no. 2; p. 199-206, Feb. 2009.
13. Zhao, Y.; Ma, L; Applicable range of Rayleigh-Debye-Gans theory for calculating the scattering matrix of soot aggregates, Applied Optics, v. 48, no. 3; p. 591-597, Jan. 2009.
12. Cai, W.; Ma, L.; Information content of scattering measurements and characterization of spheroids, Journal of Aerosol Science, v. 39; p. 1032-1039, Dec. 2008.
Top 13 of the Top 25 Hottest Articles http://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/environmental-science/13/journal/journal-of-aerosol-science/00218502/archive/20/
11. Cai, W.; Zhao, Y.; Ma, L.; Direct recursion of the ratio of bessel functions with applications to Mie scattering calculations, Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, v. 109, no. 16; p. 2673-2678, Nov. 2008.
10. Ma, L.; Cai, W.; Determination of the optimal regularization parameters in hyperspectral tomography, Applied Optics, v. 47, no. 23, p. 4186-4192, Aug. 2008.
9. Cai, W.; Ewing, D.J., and Ma, L.; Application of simulated annealing for multispectraltomography, Computer Physics Communications, v. 179; p. 250-255, Aug. 2008.
8. Cai, W; Ma, L.; Numerical investigation of hyperspectral tomography for simultaneous temperature and concentration imaging, Applied Optics, v. 47, no. 21, p. 3751-3759, Jul. 2008.
7. Grujicic, M.; Pandurangan, B.; Bell, W. C.; Daqaq, M.; Ma, L.; Seyr, N.; Erdmann, M.; Holzleitner, J.; A computational analysis and suitability assessment of cold-gas dynamic spraying of glass-fiber-reinforced poly-amide 6 for use in direct-adhesion polymer metal hybrid components , Applied Surface Science, v. 254, p. 2136-2145, Jan. 2008.
6. Ma, L.; Measurement of aerosol size distribution function using Mie scattering-mathematical considerations; Journal Aerosol Science, v. 38, no. 11; p. 1150-1162, Nov. 2007.
Top 9 of the Top 25 Hottest Articles http://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/environmental-science/13/journal/journal-of-aerosol-science/00218502/archive/14/
5. Ma, L.; Hanson, R.K.; Measurement of aerosol size distribution functions wavelength-multiplexed laser extinction, Applied Physics B, v. 81, no. 4, p. 567-576, Aug.2005.
4. Mattison, D.W.; Brophy, C.M.; Sanders, S.T.; Ma, L.; Hinckley, K.M.; Jeffries, J.B.; Hanson, R.K.; Pulse detonation engine characterization and control using tunable diode-laser sensors, Journal of Propulsion and Power, v. 19, p. 568-572, Aug. 2003.
3. Jeffries, J.B.; Sanders, S.T.; Zhou, X.; Ma, L.; Mattison, D.W.; Hanson, R.K.; Scanned wavelength diode-laser sensors for harsh environments, Proceedings of the SPIE The International Society for Optical Engineers., v. 4817, p. 88-95, Jul. 2002.
2. Sanders, S.T.; Mattison, D.W.; Ma, L.; Jeffries, J.B.; Hanson, R.K.; Wavelength-agile diode-laser sensing strategies for monitoring gas properties in optically harsh flows: application in cesium-seeded pulse detonation engine, Optics Express, v. 10, p. 505-514, Jun. 2002.
1. Ma, L.; Sanders, S.T.; Jeffries, J.B.; Hanson, R.K.; Monitoring and control of a pulse detonation engine using a diode-laser fuel concentration and temperature sensor. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, v. 29, no. 1, p.161-166, Jan. 2002. Also presented at the 29th International Symposium on Combustion, Sapporo, Japan; Jul. 21-25, 2002.