Dr. Roy has a strong interest in building confidence in scientific computing through Verification and Validation
- Verification deals with the numerical accuracy of a simulation (mathematics)
- Validation deals with the physical accuracy of a model (physics/chemistry)
- Dr. Roy will be teaching a graduate course on V&V in Spring 2014:
- Dr. Roy is the co-instructor of a two-day professional short course taught through:
- Helpful links for developing quality scientific codes
- W. L. Oberkampf and C. J. Roy, Verification and Validation in Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2010.
- C. J. Roy, "Review of Code and Solution Verification Procedures for Computational Simulation," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 205, No. 1, 2005, pp. 131-156.
- C. J. Roy, E. Tendean, S. P. Veluri, R. Rifki, S. Hebert, and E. A. Luke, "Verification of RANS Turbulence Models in Loci-CHEM Using the Method of Manufactured Solutions," AIAA Paper 2007-4203, Miami, Florida, June 2007
- C. J. Roy, C. C. Nelson, T. M. Smith, and C. C. Ober, "Verification of Euler / Navier-Stokes Codes using the Method of Manufactured Solutions," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 44, No. 6, 2004, pp. 599-620.
- C. J. Roy, M. A. McWherter-Payne, and W. L. Oberkampf, "Verification and Validation for Laminar Hypersonic Flowfields Part 1: Verification," AIAA Journal, Vol. 41, No. 10, 2003, pp. 1934-1943.
- C. J. Roy, W. L. Oberkampf, and M. A. McWherter-Payne, "Verification and Validation for Laminar Hypersonic Flowfields Part 2: Validation," AIAA Journal, Vol. 41, No. 10, 2003, pp. 1944-1954.
- C. J. Roy, and F. G. Blottner, "Review and Assessment of Turbulence Models for Hypersonic Flows," Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol. 42, 2006, pp. 469-530.
- C. J. Roy and F. G. Blottner, "Methodology for Turbulence Model Validation: Application to Hypersonic Transitional Flows," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 40, No. 3, May-June 2003, pp. 313-325.