The Kevin T. Crofton Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering provides a strong and broad technical foundation, professional engineering skills, leadership ability, and a well-rounded undergraduate experience.
The undergraduate programs’ educational objectives are that graduates will combine their undergraduate education and post-graduation experience to:
- Be successful in entry-level professional positions or in graduate study in aerospace and ocean engineering
- Apply the theoretical, experimental and computational fundamentals of science and engineering to professional practice, advanced study and continuing professional development
- Apply their broad understanding of fluid dynamics, vehicle dynamics and control, propulsion and structures to design and synthesis of aerospace or ocean systems in a team environment
- Communicate their work effectively to both experts in their field and non-technical individuals
As a result of their completion of the program curriculum, students will attain:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
ABET is the recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. Among the most respected accreditation organizations in the U.S., ABET has provided leadership and quality assurance in higher education for over 75 years.