The primary points of contact for an Aerospace and Ocean Engineering graduate student are the student’s faculty Advisor, who serves as chairperson of the student’s Advisory Committee, and the Graduate Program Coordinator. The Advisor provides guidance concerning academic, research, and professional issues, including course selection, research focus, and career planning. The Graduate Program Coordinator provides guidance concerning administrative issues, including matriculation, degree progress, and assistantships.
Degree program brochures provide additional information about the Masters and Doctoral programs in aerospace engineering, the Masters program in ocean engineering, and graduate certificate in naval engineering.
Individuals interested in becoming graduate students within the Aerospace and Ocean Engineering Department should review admissions requirements and application documents. The departmental deadline for applications is December 30th for the Fall semester and September 1st for the Spring semester.
- A bachelor’s degree, typically in engineering, mathematics, or physics from an accredited institution.
- Applicant should provide evidence which shows genuine promise of success in graduate study such as a good academic record. A 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale is required.
- International applicants should provide the official results from an English proficiency test such as the TOEFL Examination. A minimum of 90 should be achieved on the Internet based test.
- Full admission to the Virginia Tech Graduate School is required (https://gradapp.stl.vt.edu/pages/login.php).
- Official transcripts sent to both the Graduate School and to the Aerospace and Ocean Engineering Department.
- Statement of Interest and Curriculum Vitae, which can be attached to the online graduate application (https://gradapp.stl.vt.edu/pages/login.php).
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores. (No minimum score required.)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Scores for international applicants.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
- Immigration Information Form for international applicants.