(NOTE: THIS IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION; SOON TO BE POPULATED WITH MORE PUBLICATIONS, PICTURES, etc.)
Research focus is on fundamental and applied aspects of dynamics, control, and structures. Strong mathematical skills combined with passion for research, desire to innovate, and a motivating curiosity to explore unchartered intelectual teritories are guarantees for success. Proving results that may have the potential of impact beyond what was originally contemplated is highly desired. Some current research topics are given next along with representative journal publications. As revealed by my complete list of journal publictions, the following list is not exhaustive.
Rotorcraft Dynamics and Control
Complex, physics based, control oriented models are developed to accurately capture essential rotorcraft dynamics. These models are further used in advanced control for steady and maneuvering flight, failure management via control adaptation, integrated helicopter and control design, passive and active blade morphing, autonomy in shipboard operations, etc.
7. Ngo, T., Sultan, C., Model Predictive Control for Helicopter Shipboard Operations in the Ship Airwakes, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 39(3), 574-589, 2016
6. Oktay, T., Sultan, C., Comfortable Helicopter Flight Via Passive/Active Morphing, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 51(4), 2776-2786, 2015
5. Oktay, T., Sultan, C., Flight Control Energy Saving via Helicopter Rotor Active Morphing, Journal of Aircraft, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 51(6), 1784-1804, 2014
4. Oktay, T., Sultan C., Modeling and Control of a Helicopter Slung-Load System, Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 29, 206-222, 2013
3. Oktay, T., Sultan C., Simultaneous Helicopter and Control System Design, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 50(3), 911-925, 2013
2. Oktay, T., Sultan C., Variance Constrained Control of Maneuvering Helicopters with Sensor Failure, Journal of Aerospace Engineering Proc. of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Part G, to appear
1. Oktay, T., Sultan C., Constrained Predictive Control of Helicopters, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 85(1), 32-47, 2013
Tensegrity Structures, Membranes
Prestressable structures such as tensegrity, membranes, as well as general thin structures are investigated. Fundamental theoretical aspects of these structures modeling, design, stability and control are of interest as well as applications in civil and space engineering, robotics, energy harvesting.
Energy harvesting from ocean current turbines (OCT) is of primary interest. Advanced control is pursued for individual devices as well as farms of OCT. Energy harvesting from vibrating membranes is also of interest.
Trajectory Generation, Coordination
Path planning, trajectory, and coordination algorithm for a single vehicle as well as vehicle formations is investigated.
High Speed Aerospace Vehicles
Some Theory Publications (Control, Dynamics, Design) and Intriguing Topics ...