- Ph. D., 2006, Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University
- M. S., 1999, Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University
- B. S., 1997, Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University
Computational design optimization, Advanced numerical methods in CFD, Multidisciplinary analysis and design optimization (MADO)
- 2013 ~ present: Virginia Tech, Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace and Ocean Engineering
- 2013 ~ present: KAIST, Adjunct Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Graduate School of Trasportation
- 2010 ~ 2013: Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering
- 2009 ~ 2010: NASA Ames Research Center-UARC, Associate Research Scientist
- 2006 ~ 2009: U.S. Army Aeroflightdynamics Directorate (AFDD), off-campus research associate of Stanford
- 2000 ~ 2006: Stanford University, Research Assistant, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Young Investigator Award: 1st Asian/Australian Rotorcraft Forum & Exhibition, Feb. 2012
- Best Paper Award: 10th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Sep. 2004.
- One of the Best Papers in Applied Aerodynamics, 45th AIAA/ASME Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibition, Jan. 2004
- Ambassadorial Scholarship from Rotary Foundation (2000-2001)
Advanced numerical analysis using CFD, Large-scale aerodynamic computation of aerospace vehicles, Adjoint-based sensitivity analysis & optimization, Frequency-based CFD analysis for unsteady flows (Time-Spectral algorithm for URANS solver), Fluid-Structure Interface (FSI) analysis for helicopter rotors, Genetic Algorithm (GA) based optimization, Response surface techniques, Aircraft design of fixed and rotary wing vehicles (low-boom supersonic jets and helicopter rotors), Multi-fidelity and multi-level analysis and design, Combinatorial optimization method for transportation system.