Research Associate Professor
- Ph.D., 2007, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Tech
- B.S., 2002, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Tech
Aerodynamics, Aeroacoustics, Wind Tunnel Testing
- 2015-present Core member of the Center for Renewable Energy and Aerodynamic Testing (CREATe)
- 2014-present Research Associate Professor, Virginia Tech
- 2010-present Assistant Director of the Stability Wind Tunnel, Virginia Tech
- 2010-2014 Research Scientist, Virginia Tech
- 2008-2010 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Virginia Tech
Wind Tunnel Testing
Dr Borgoltz has over 10 years of experience with wind tunnel instrumentation and measurement systems. His expertise covers various experimental techniques including steady and unsteady surface pressure measurements, hotwire anemometry, laser Doppler velocimetry, Particle Image Velocimetry, force balance, and various flow visualization techniques. His work has focused on the integration of multiple measurement techniques in experimental setups to maximize data output and quality. His current efforts include the development of high quality/low uncertainty measurement system for uncertainty quantification and validation of CFD models. His expertise in aerodynamic testing has led him to be a core member of the Center for Renewable Energy and Aerodynamic Testing (CREATe).
Aero-Acoustic Testing of Wind Turbine Blade Sections
Dr. Borgoltz has been the assistant director of the Stability Wind Tunnel since 2010. Under his leadership, the facility has seen a vast improvement of its instrumentation and capabilities primarily thanks to an increase in commercial research testing. The unique capabilities of the Stability Wind Tunnel (with both a traditional hard wall test-section and the novel Kevlar-walled anechoic test-section) have attracted and continue to attract the world leading wind turbine manufacturers to evaluate the aerodynamic performance and acoustic signature of their blade designs.
- (540) 231-1959
Aerospace and Ocean Engineering (MC0119)
McBryde Hall, RM 660D, Virginia Tech
225 Stanger St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061