The AOE department will host its first annual Graduate Recruiting Weekend on February 15-17, 2019. Select candidates will be invited to visit the Blacksburg campus and meet with faculty in their areas of interest and research.
Our goal is to offer you an in-depth look at our graduate program, introduce you to faculty and tour our facilities, and get a "snapshot" of life in Blacksburg. You will also have time for candid discussions with our current graduate students, and learn why they chose to study at Virginia Tech.
Throughout the weekend, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Tour labs and research facilities
- Hold one-on-one meetings with AOE faculty of your selection
- Meet current AOE graduate students
- Network with other prospective graduate students
- Explore Blacksburg
- Secure departmental funding
Travel & Lodging
Once you have been invited, you'll need to start making your travel arrangements right away. Please RSVP to our graduate program coordinator as soon as possible.
- Students will book their own flight and will be reimbursed up to $750 (Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport is closest airport)
- Accomodations at the Inn at Virginia Tech will be provided
- Airport-to-campus shuttle service will be arranged by the department
- Meals include dinner on Friday, breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday
What to Bring
- The weather in Blacksburg in February can be cold and wintry. Check the forecast and bring hats, gloves, a heavy coat and boots if necessary.
- Business casual clothes are appropriate for all visit activities. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
Tentative Schedule of Events
- Friday: Arrive from Airport, Check-In at the Inn at Virginia Tech, Dinner and Presentations from Faculty
- Saturday: Breakfast, Lab and Research Facilities Tours, Lunch, Meetings with Individual Faculty members, Dinner, Social Outing with GSA
- Sunday: Breakfast, Depart for Airport
NOTE: A detailed schedule for the entire weekend will be emailed to you prior to your visit. Please let us know if you require special accomodations or have any dietary restrictions.