- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, Purdue University
- M.S. Applied Mathematics, Purdue University
- B.S./M.S. Aerospace Engineering, Polytechnic University, Romania
Dynamics, Control, Structures
- 2007 - 2015 Assistant then Associate Professor, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2004 - 2007 Staff Engineer, United Technologies Research Center, Hartford, CT
- 2001 - 2004 Research Engineer (Consultant/Full Time), SSCI, Woburn, MA
- 2001 - 2003 Research Fellow, Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1999 - 2001 Research Engineer, Tensegra Inc. (start-up), Boston, MA
- 2016: Fellow Virginia Tech College of Engineering
- 2012: Virginia Tech VP for Research Scholar of the Week
- Technical Area Chair for AIAA GNC Conference on Conference Aerospace Robotics and Unmanned/Autonomous Systems, Scitech 2016
- Technical Area Chair for AIAA GNC Conference on Control Theory, Analysis, and Design, Scitech 2015
- AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Technical Committee Member
Rotorcraft Dynamics and Control
Complex, physics based, control oriented models are developed to accurately capture essential rotorcraft dynamics beyond flight dynamics modes. These models are further used in advanced control for steady and maneuvering flight, failure management via control adaptation, integrated helicopter and control design, passive and active blade morphing, autonomy in shipboard operations, etc.
Prestressable Structures, Membranes, Thin Structures
Prestressable structures are studied, including tensegrity, membranes, as well as general thin structures. Modeling, design, and control issues are investigated for applications in civil and space engineering, robotics, energy harvesting.
Energy harvesting from large amplitude vibrations of mechanical systems as well as ocean and wind turbines is investigated. The research has strong mathematical modeling and advanced control components.
Trajectory Generation, Coordination
Path planning, trajectory, and coordination algorithm for a single vehicle as well as vehicle formations is investigated.
- (540) 231-0047
Aerospace & Ocean Engineering (MC0203)
Randolph Hall, RM 224-14, Virginia Tech
460 Old Turner St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061